Tuesday 20 March 2012

7drl reviews: Asylum RL

Asylum RL by scotchfield 


Available here

























Well here we have a roguelike written again in Python with libtcod. I don't want to say too much about it because it would spoil it for people but basically you are in an Asylum and escaping. It's very big on story and atmosphere and includes lots of sound and text. Judging from the journal pages you collect while playing I don't think it's going to be too long.

Unfortunately I didn't complete it due to one very silly little thing that made it hard for me: there's no auto-repeat on movement. You have to move across these big maps, some fixed, some randomly generated, and you have to press a key once for every movement square. You might say "so what?" and "that's the same as a lot of games". I don't know, but I really felt my arm muscles hurting after playing this for a bit and I didn't notice on any other games. You're restricted to using exactly WASD too; there's no way to change that.

1 comment: